St Joseph’s, Hedley Terrace, Langley Park. DH7 9TA
St Joseph’s church is situated on the east side of the village and is clearly signposted from the main road.
With the sinking of the pit in Langley Park and the subsequent growth of the Catholic population, the parish priest of the mother church, St Michael’s , Esh, Canon Harris, recognised the need for a place of worship in the expanding village. In 1922 the Salvation Army Citadel was purchased and became St Joseph’s Chapel of Ease.
In 1968 this was replaced with a prefabricated building near the railway line and the old chapel became the parish hall.
Plans were in place to give the wooden construction a brick finish at a later date but this never materialised. By 2003, the fabric of the church had deteriorated and it was decided to demolish the building, sell the land and use the capital to refurbish the original hall. It was designed as a multi purpose building and is used regularly by church and social groups.